It’s no secret that we are Fair fans! We take our friends and family and usually go more than once a year! But it can be expensive to go to the fair… and we get it! That’s hard to do for some people. Listen if I could go to the fair and just pay admission and enjoy an entire day with my family I would rather do it that way than spend $100+ on food, games, etc! But you can! You can go to the fair and enjoy probably an entire day and just pay for admission (and food of course if you choose).
There’s just so many FREE things to do that you honestly could do it! You can visit on a budget! So we rounded up our Top Ten FREE things to do while you are at the Indiana State Fair!
TOP TEN FREE PICKS
(1) Putt-putt at the Corteva Agriscience FFA Pavilion. This is a fun way to fill some time, and still have fun! Challenge your friends to a sometimes challenging 18holes and it’s 100% free! Plus, if you have littles, there’s an indoor playground they can play on too!
(2) One of the best places to chill and relax is the WGU Parklet. Just to the west of the Hoosier Lottery Grandstand, you’ll find this fun-filled area where you can play checkers, Jenga, soccer, and ping-pong!
(3) Another fun spot for kids and adults is the Glass Barn. Learn about farmers in Indiana, cover crops, pesticides, and more while earning swag! And don’t forget to grab a FREE photo!
(4) Animal Town, found on the east end of the Hoosier Lottery grandstand, is a great FREE feature of the Fair! It’s a way to enjoy seeing all the livestock that is at the fair during its run, but might no longer be there! See all the animals and maybe even pet some!
*Also where you can pick up your Wonder Trail Info!
(5) A must see is the Circus! A little different than last year, but still featuring the always entertaining Bello Nock. Located in the Big Top Circus Tent presented by Bee Window, you will see silly, scary, and swift acts including a clown, juggler, acrobatics, what I’d consider daredevil acts, and quick change artists! You will love it!
Daily 1p, 4p, 7p
(6) Test your watermelon seed spitting skills and enter the daily Watermelon Seed Spitting Contest in the Purdue Ag/Hort Building. Anyone can enter and they even give out ribbons! While we haven’t made it to this one yet, I’m still adding it as a favorite because it’s definitely worth checking out if you can make it.
(7) We checked out the Visit Indiana Urban Garden at the Greenhouse this year and they have a super cute and educational scavenger hunt for the kids. When they complete it, they receive a FREE garden kit to take home and plant!
(8) Another one we missed, but I know would have been a hit is the petting zoo! It’s at the front of the Corteva Agriscience FFA Pavilion (putt-putt is in the back) and sure to be an easy hit with the kids!
(9) Enjoy the Indiana State Fair Parade… Did you know they have a parade every day down Main Street?! It includes tractors, trucks, and more and is really a cute thing, especially for boys who love machinery!!!
Daily 6:30p-7p, 1p on Tuesday and Saturdays
(10) Take a self-guided your around the entire fairgrounds with the Wonder Trail. Explore corners of the grounds you may not have seen before! We did it for the first time and found 4 buildings we’d never been in that were actually pretty cool! And if you complete 8 answers, you earn a free milkshake coupon good at the Dairy Barn!
And that’s just our top 10!
Check out the link below for all the other awesome FREE things you can do at the fair!
And I hope you enjoy your time when you go! Just know that, while you can go and spend a bunch of money, you don’t have to!
There’s so much to do that doesn’t cost a thing and can easily fill a day…