Well, we are starting to feel like we are actually completing some things around here, but then again, not. We are on Week 5 of the One Room Challenge and while things are happing, the pace feels snail-like. This week we hoped to tackle landscaping and finishing up the table as well as pulling out a few accessories, but once again, weather and other obstacles got in the way.
I was finally able to fill my planters, but does anyone else feel like the florals are a little off this year?! After looking for annuals at all the local homes stores, I ended up with a tropical color scheme that I don’t really love, but it’s done.
DISCLOSURE: SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING, THAT AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE.
Mike has finished the table build (minus an umbrella hole) and we’ve moved on to stain and paint which might be the most expensive and hardest process yet! Building a table – not so hard. Picking the right color for it – harder than heck!
DIY WILDFLOWER SEED BOMBS
Each mini stain is about $6-9 and so testing them out can add up quickly. Luckily I checked the mis-tinted area and was able to find 4 stains there for $1-2 which was helpful, but I went back out last night to grab 3 more… I feel like trying to find a stain is such a waste of money! Grrr! Here were the first ones…
One of these is an exterior paint… And we kind of liked it because it’ll cover the table and offer protection, but will also allow for the grain to show through, which is why I think the table is so pretty as is!
MORE ONE ROOM CHALLENGE
However, it feels like the color is a little off for what is happening outside at the moment.
So… next we are trying a few more natural options… We shall see… Nothing is feeling “right” and if we go dark, we need light chairs which are hard to find and if we go light, we need dark chairs, but we are always having issues with the wood putty taking to the lighter colors and it’s not going unnoticed.
Needless to say there have been TOO MANY trips to the home stores…
I was able to get in one landscaping bed over the weekend and if you follow on IG, you saw how long it took for this pretty small area to be finished. It wasn’t anything crazy – we adding a mulch bed along with some Shasta Daisies, Anemones, Boxwoods, and peonies. I had big plans for this landscaping but after taking 2 hours+ to dig out the bed, I felt defeated. I’m thinking I might try again soon on the others but I’ve also come to the conclusion that if it doesn’t happen, grass is ok LOL.
This weekend took it out of me and I haven’t felt un-exhausted since Saturday. I blame the bed. But speaking of beds, we were able to get started on one of the raised garden beds! Mike made this – it’s huge and I love it! Plus, I think I’m going to have one more just for my CUTTING GARDEN! I’ll be sharing more on that plan soon!
Aside from the staining and digging, we’ve done a few small projects but the ORC to-do list just doesn’t feel like it’s dwindling. We’ll push through though – only 3 weeks left of the One Room Challenge!
Here’s what’s left to do:
*Finish sealing/staining/painting table
*Decide on dining chairs
*Setup dining area
*Finish landscaping beds
*DIY Hose Holder
Here’s a tentative schedule as to what you might see on any given week’s update:
Week 1 – Before & Design Plans
Week 2 – Patio Pour
Week 3 – Furniture Layout
Week 4 – A Semi- Useable Space
Week 5 – Landscaping & Gardens
Week 6 – Landscaping & Gardens
Week 7 – Firepit
Week 8 – Final Reveal
Leave a Reply