I’ve always wanted to do a sort of statement wall behind my daughter’s bed. It is the biggest wall in the room and it’s what you walk into and see. We looked at a few different options before landing on vinyl records, all of which were worthy of the wall. But honestly, this is a show stopper… And here’s how we created this teen bedroom statement wall with thrifted vinyl records.
First, we were looking at doing a wallpaper, which we still could change to down the road, but for now this is working. The wallpapers we were looking at were graffiti style. Like Mayfair Abstract, comic pop art, Read Books graffiti wallpapers from Spoonflower. And I know, I know… you are probably thinking, what the heck?! Graffitti!?! Well, she’s artsy and we thought that might have a very cool, modern, teen vibe. I know it would have looked AMAZING, but we opted for this record route instead.
Somehow she has started to get hooked on vinyl. First she just wanted a specific record, then she needed a record player so she could actually listen to it and now every time we go to Target or Barnes and Noble you will find her in the record section. It’s kind of like we used to be when hunting for CDs, but just a little different. I actually love it. I love that occasionally she’ll just be listening to a RECORD in her room and not Alexa playing music. It just doesn’t have the same feel.
But, let’s talk about this wall and how we did it. It was actually pretty easy, just time consuming. We went out to Goodwill and picked up about 50 records. I know, you are probably thinking 50 won’t be enough… and I knew that, but I didn’t realize HOW MANY it would really take. I figured this would give us an idea of how many more records we’d need and how many each “row” seem to take. For us that was basically 9 per row. There’s easier ways to buy in bulk like Etsy or Ebay, but you may not be able to pick what you are getting.
Really the only other supplies needed were 3m velcro picture hanging strips – and lots of them! I’ve had hit or miss experiences with these in the past so I was a little leery to use these, but we did it anyways. We are going to be here a while… so if they mess up the wall, we can fix it. But they aren’t supposed to.
We started hanging them from the bottom up – the plan was to keep black middles around the edges. We “kinda” did that. That was the best part of the search though, finding really cool looking middles. Not sure what that’s really called so I’m just going with middles. Some had rainbows, towers, Disney castles, patterns, etc. and we tried to keep those in the middle or in more prominent spots. When we’d find a cool one Ella would get so excited! She’s got a few faves for sure!
Then it was time to hang. We put a hanging strip on each and every record. And in the end that end up being 189+ records so far. I say so far because we aren’t quite done. The edges need a little fixing, but I’m not 100% sure how to cut the records yet. We overlapped a bit to hide the wall as much as possible and we tried to feature the fun ones in easier to see locations.
View this post on Instagram
So anyways, it’s been a process, a few more trips to goodwill than I had anticipated and few more amazon orders of hanging strips too! But I think in the end it looks pretty cool!